What causes altered sense of smell when diagnosed with sinus tachycardia?
i have prior afib and some sinus tachycardia. every so often i get a smell of something burning. like today. nothing is burning so what is causing the air to smell like something like smoke or burning papers
Explore for possible vascular epilepsy, etc
I read your question and understand your concern.
I would like to know more about this feeling: how much does it last? Is it associated with headache.
In my opinion the most probable diagnosis is a type of partial epilepsy of the temporal lobe. Based on your past history this may be caused by an old thrombus in the brain asymptomatic at the event causing epilepsy. But there are also other causes of this disorder like a brain tumor, etc. This is a common complication in atrial fibrillation.
Another less probable cause is migraine with aura but the bed smell usually is followed by headache. You don't refer headache.
If I were your doctor I would strongly recommend a consult with a neurologist coupled with an EEG and a brain MRI to exlude epilepsy and its cause.
Regarding the cardiac arhythmia further exploration is needed to rule out recurrent atrial fibrillation , its potential detectable causes and to find out the risk of cardioembolic events. I recommend you to consult a cardiologist and perform some exams such as :ambulatory ECG monitoring,cardiac ultrasound, thyroid and renal function test , chest x ray etc.
In your situation I would recommend to consider the possibility of anticoagulation therapy.
Hope to have been helpful!
Feel free to ask me whenever you need!
Greetings Dr. Iliri
Still insist to explore neurological disorders.
Hi! Thank you for the information! Facing your symptomatology I still insist to recommend a neurologist consult and the above mentioned exams.
Migraine may be associated with just only the aurea (like smell disorders). We can't rule it out right now. We need to explore all possibilities.
If you have additional information please let me know.
Best wishes! Dr. Iliri
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Sinus tachycardia treatment causes
- Physiological sinus tachycardia causes
- Idiopathic sinus tachycardia causes
- Flu causes sinus tachycardia
- What causes sinus tachycardia
- Sinus tachycardia causes
- Inappropriate sinus tachycardia causes
- What causes inappropriate sinus tachycardia
- Sinus tachycardia causing infertility
- Sustained sinus tachycardia causes
- What do the following stress tests, echo and holter monitor test result...
- Suggest alternative treatment for congestive heart failure
- Suggest treatment for hypertension and GERD
- Suggest treatment for high BP and tingling in arms
- What causes sharp pain in chest area relieved by burping?
- Suggest treatment for afib, severe sleep apnea and high heart rate?
- What causes shortness of breath with normal chest X-ray?
- What causes severe pain in my calf muscle in Tietze syndrome?
- What causes altered sense of smell when diagnosed with sinus tachycardia?
- Does page syndrome increase the risk of heart attack?