What causes altered AST and ALT levels?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: My AST is 109 and ALT 126. ALP is 86 and bilirubin is 1.0. I was in normal limits for AST and ALT last year. Should I be concerned?
Should I be concerned with these results?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
These results need further attention!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about these increased liver markers. Clearly, they are out of the normal ranges and further measures through a complete clinical examination and laboratory investigations should be undertaken to identify the cause of this abnormality and addressed appropriately. They suggest a liver pathology.

For this, I will suggest that you follow up with a gastroenterologist. For now, reduce your alcohol consumption, avoid medications like Tylenol when not really needed, etc.

In all, you have got reasons to be concerned. Talk to your doctor and get a possible referral to see a gastroeneterologist to pinpoint the cause of these abnormal results and address accordingly.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thanks for trusting us with your health question this day and feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.