What causes all over body itching in a child?

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My 9 yo has been complaining about her body itching all over with no rash, redness, welts, nor fever. This has lasted for close to a week.
Now she is near tears complaining that it hurts to lay down or have anything touch her body. She could barely stand my resting my Palm to her head to check for feverish skin.
What could cause this?
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Looks like conversion reaction

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic.
The symptoms you quote is not fitting into any known clinical syndrome or a disease. Keeping in mind the age and gender of the kid, I feel you should consider psychological and other conversion reaction like symptoms. But I reiterate the fact that this is a diagnosis of exclusion after ruling out all other physical diagnoses.
I am considering this diagnosis as the symptoms you quote do not fit perfectly into any known clinical syndrome. I suggest you see your pediatrician.
I am proposing this diagnosis as nothing present like this with rash and extreme pain although a rare possibility of liver disease does exist, but highly unlikely without jaundice.
Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.
Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,