What causes aggravated red swollen cyst on neck?

Dr. M Y Shareef

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 12 Jun 2014 in Lump
Question: Hello, I have an aggravated cyst on my neck that is red and swollen. I have been on antibiotics for about 3 days and it hasn't gotten any better. Is there anything else I can do like hot or cold compresses? Or anything else? Going to have it surgically removed as soon as it goes down. Thank you in advance for you help with this.

XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
A full formed abscess would require a drainage.

Detailed Answer:

I am Dr Shareef answering your query.

If the infection in your cyst is not subsiding, possibly it would form an abscess (collection of pus). Once the abscess has formed, it might not resolve with antibiotics, and an incision and drainage might be required to relieve the present infection, and allow it to heal. Prior to this you might be advised to go for some simple blood tests like a complete blood count, ESR, and a blood sugar test. Once it heals up completely, your surgeon would advise you to get it removed by a planned elective operation as it might not be possible to remove the cyst completely with its wall during the infective stage.During the healing period you have to continue with your antibiotics course.

However, there are some conditions which might not allow the wound to heal. One such common condition specially in developing countries is a tubercular lymphadenopathy. This has to be ruled out by your treating doctor by clinical examination and some investigations, so that appropriate precautions and treatment could be instituted in such conditions.

I hope this information would help you in discussing with your family physician/treating doctor in further management of your problem. Please do not hesitate to ask in case of any further doubts.
Thanks for choosing health care magic to clear doubts on your health problems. Wishing you an early recovery. Dr Shareef.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T