What causes adrenal adenoma?

Dr. Rovena Murati

Posted on Mon, 11 May 2015 in General Health
Question: what is adrenal adenoma & what is the treatment for it
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

Welcome to Healthcare Magic.

Adrenal adenoma is is a common benign tumor arising from the cortex of the adrenal gland. It commonly occurs in adults.
Usually it is discovered incidentally during an imaging procedure done for other reasons.
In most of cases these tumors don't produce hormones ,and don't cause any symptom.Some adenomas can produce too much adrenal steroid hormones and the excess hormone can cause symptoms.

The treatment will depends upon the fact if the lesion is suspicious to be cancer ,if the tumor produces hormones ,if it is causing symptoms etc.
Usually the treatment consist in removing the adrenal gland.

If the tumor is small ,doesn't produce hormones and doesn't cause any symptoms ,it is just kept in observation and the patient may need to repeat a CT scan or MRI after 6-12 months to see if the tumor has grown.
If the tumor is small but produces excessive hormones or if the tumor is large (>3-5 cm) and don't produce hormones , they need resection .

Hope it helps.
Let me know if you need further help.

Kind regards,
Dr.Rovena Murati