What causes acute renal failure following excess ingestion of methotrexate?

Dr. Divya Agarwal

Rheumatologist

Posted on Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: A negligent Doctor in XXXXXXX Tamilnad prescribed my mother Methatraxate 7.5mg daily for 60 days. My mother took the same for 6 or 7 days after which she was affected with XXXXXXX XXXXXXX syndrome and acute kidney injury. We have the presciptions, records and data for the same.

We need to know whether such injury can happen due to the above medicine overdose and if yes what are the long term effects on a old patient? The fees for the same?

We can courier or email the patient records on receiving confirmation from you...
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
yes it is a possibility.

Detailed Answer:
hello,
It is very unfortunate that such an incident occured.
Yes it is definitely possible to get skin reactions and acute renal failure following excess ingestion of methotrexate.
It is a well known occurance which has been reported in scientific journals.
some amount of kidney function may be reversible if the causes like excess drug and dehydration are removed.
Howvever it needs to be seen whether the kidney function can be reversed depending on the size of kidneys on ultrasound and whether cortico medullary discrimination is mantained.
So the best option is to mantain hydration, avoid nephrotoxic drugs and see the reversibility of the problem.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Divya Agarwal 4 hours later
I could not scan the documents in time. Hence I have enclosed the same now.
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
see below.

Detailed Answer:
I saw all your reports.

According to the discharge summary the sr. creatinine was 2 which came to 0.8 when she was discharged after the skin lesions improved.

Was that the case.

Also the creatinine values are high, but are the kidneys contracted on ultrasound which would suggest chronic renal failure.

That is what we need to check in order to ascertain whether the kidney failure is due to methotrexate overdosage.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Divya Agarwal 17 hours later
Will do ultrasound and get back to you...
Will pay any additional fee if required at that point of time...
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
that would be the right approach

Detailed Answer:
hello,
yes I think that would definitely help.
Also other routines like urine routine, serum electrolytes may also be repeated.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj