question-icon

What causes acoustic neuroma?

Posted on Tue, 5 May 2015
Question: Been having a feeling of fullness in my left ear..very minor tinnitus (only when hand cups over ear sounds like sea shell). Two days ago the other ear felt closed. Seem to hear OK but hard to tell when ears keep closing. PC did quick click test and didn't think hearing loss was an issue. Can get them to "pop but only stay open for a short period of time. Also recently diagnosed with TMJ on left side. Primary care is trying allergy treatments, but says if they don't work,
possible eustachian tube dysfunction (I fly a lot ) or the worst case scenario, an acoustic neuroma. Doesn't think its anything serious but after reading about this tumor i'm having a difficult time trying to focus
on staying positive. Guideline, please...how long should I try allergy relief...do my symptoms sound serious?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha (27 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Get an audiometry done and discuss treatment plans for the tumor

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the details and indeed the problems are directly related to:
* Eustachian tube dysfunction : Be sure to swallow frequently during the flights.
* Temporo Mandibular Joint (TMJ) problems
* Acoustic neuroma : Get an audiometry done and discuss with your ENT doctor about the further management plans.

It is better to be continuing the allergy medication. The additional measure that I would suggest is to take steam inhalation twice or thrice daily on regular basis. Swallow a number of times when you feel your ear to be blocked.

Hope that helps. Please write back if you have any further queries.

Dr. Kunal Saha
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha (7 minutes later)
It sounds as though you think there may be cause to be concerned about a possible tumor or why are you talking about tumor treatment plan?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha (5 hours later)
Brief Answer:
You need to proceed step by step towards diagnosis.

Detailed Answer:
I am sorry that I assumed that your doctor has some basis in assuming the tumor. Although the audiometry would be the first step anyway. Although I would not assume a tumor primarily, if he really has a clinical suspicion, it needs to be detected and managed early. That is why I talked about the treatment plan.
Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha