What causes acne on neck and chest post colon polyps removal?

Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist

Posted on Thu, 29 Jan 2015 in General Health
Question: Hi,
I had surgery in XXXXXXX last year to remove most of my large bowel due to a colonoscopy showing large polyps which had pre cancer cells. I recovered from surgery very well as it was done through key hole surgery. I have however had some slow building symptons since surgery, one being a rash like acne (small spots) all over my neck, chest, under the bust and on my back and arms. I also have constant fatigue which seems to be getting worse and my concentration is becoming worse because of it. I have no motivation due to the tiredness and spend alot of time at home. I think the fatigue is the worse symptom. I also have a slight discomfort in my lower back and need to bend or stretch to ease it. I have a very stiff neck . Are my symptoms related to eachither or do they have anything to do with the surgery? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
No

Detailed Answer:
It is unlikely your present symptoms are related directly to surgery.

However given the nature of your present symptoms, I would plan the following if I saw someone like you in my practice. This would obviously be in addition to a thorough physical examination.

CBC (Complete Blood Count)
CMP (Complete Metabolic Panel) comprising
Electrolytes
Creatinine
SGOT
SGPT
Glucose
Bicarbonate
Calcium
Alkaline phosphatase
TSH
Free T4
25 hydroxy vitamin D

These are all blood tests and do not require fasting. They can be done at any time of the day or night.

Often an under active thyroid can cause symptoms similar to the ones you are experiencing. A simple blood test like TSH can detect the problem. Likewise each of the recommended tests above looks for a possible cause for your symptoms.