What causes acne on cheeks after using Minoz OD?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I am taking Minoz od - 100 mg, I have a fair complexion and i never sufferred from acne. Suddenly at 35 I am getting lots of acnes on cheeks in small and medium size. Also What is the side effects of this medicine. Doctor told me that its because of PCOS. Can you suggest what I should do further.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Investigate for PCOS

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I have gone through your query and I have understood your concern.

Minocycline is a safe drug for acne.
Common side effects are minor and include nausea, diarrhea, stomach upset, dizziness, tiredness.
Skin rash and photosensitivity, skin and nail discoloration are other side effects.
Rare and serious side effects include pancreatitis, hepatitis/ liver dysfunction, headache and convulsions, drug induced lupus etc.

Polycystic ovary syndrome/ PCOS is a fairly common cause of hormonal imbalance in females.

Not all acne in females are due to PCOS.
In PCOS apart from acne, there may be other signs and symptoms that suggests hormonal imbalance like menstural irregularity, coarse facial hair, hair loss and thinning of scalp hair etc

-Do you have any history of menstural irregularity?
-Do you have any significant problem with coarse facial hair?

As your doctor suspects that your acne could be because of PCOS therefore I would suggest you to get a few blood test to determine levels of circulating hormone i.e S. Testosterone, S. DHEAS, S. prolactin, S. FSH levels, S. LH levels along with a pelvic ultrasound.
These hormonal levels may be deranged in PCOS.

Treatment for PCOS includes hormonal pills apart from traditional antiacne medications.
These hormonal pills contain an estrogen agent e.g ethinyl estradiol and a progestational agent like cyproterone acetate.
These pills are given for 21 days of each monthly cycle, starting from Day 1 of menstural cycle.
They can be continued for 6- 12 months.

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist