What causes acid reflux while on Zantac?

Posted on Wed, 21 Jun 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am not able to go one day without acid reflux ! It happens if I eat or do not eat I have had intermittent issues in the past with treatment using OTC Zantac
However for the past several months it has been daily ,lasting on and off for most of the day, and treating with TUMS, 8 to 10 a day.ll
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Practical advises and steps to manage your problem.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using HealthcareMagic to post your question.
I read it carefully and I understand your concern.

In order to keep acid reflux under control, it is very important to keep a diet without foods that increase acid in the stomach (spicy foods, acidic foods, greasy foods, etc), to eat small meals but often, to increase slightly the head of the bed, etc.

If these measures do not help, then medicines are recommended. Zantac is okay, but it only relieves the symptoms but does not decrease acid in the stomach permanently. I would recommend Omeprazole 20mg or Lansoprazole 15 mg, once/day before food in the morning. It should be used for 8-12 weeks, then can be stopped.

If not helpful after using it for the first 2 weeks, then the stomach should be investigated closely with a fibro-gastroscopy to rule out a gastric ulcer or other chronic causes of stomach pain.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you need more clarifications.

Dr.Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Klarida Papaqako 15 minutes later
Thank you very much for your response. Yes, it did help.I am currently visiting my son out of my home State . I will make an appointment with my Internist when I return. I the
mean time I will continue to use Zantac !

Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Glad to be of help.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

I am glad to have been of help.

Feel free to follow up with me anytime.

Dr.Papaqako
Dr. Klarida Papaqako