• question-icon

What causes acid reflux in a child while on Prevacid?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hi, my daughter is 16 months and was diagnosed with silent reflux from a very early age due to crying when drinking her bottle, arching back and falling asleep while drinking. She was on prevacid for two months and things improved so I took her off of it.Once she started solids, she became extremely difficult to feed because she would not accept most foods. Now this problem still persists. She is an EXTREMELY 'picky eater.' She has only a few foods she likes, and other foods she may try but will not eat. It is tearing me apart because i cook so many meals for her which she simply does not eat. I am tired, frustated and don't know what to do. She also recently dropped from the 55th percentile to the 20th. She is seeing an occupational therapist who thinks she may still be dealing with reflux and i suspect she is right. I thought babies usually outgrow this by 12 months. Does this mean since she has not outgrown it by now she will have this condition for the rest of her life or at least for many more years? What are the chances? I am afraid of putting her back on prevacid because of the damage it can do to her kidneys and liver (side effects from long term use) if this doesn't resolve. Also what is a good diagnostic test they will perform on babies to see if it is reflux? I am not comfortable with any nuclear testing because of the high levels of radiation.
Answered by Dr. Arun 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Continue for 6 months

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I understand that your daughter has dropped centiles in growth chart.
Sometimes reflux can persist even upto 2 years.
Dont worry, she will get better soon.
To answer your queries
1. Safe to continue medicine for another 6 months.
2.Try milk scan which is safe with less radiation to diagnose severity of reflux.
Reflux will not last life long , at the most till 2 years of age.

3. Thicken feeds, upright seating, and frequent small feeds will help.
4. Almost half the kids at this age are picky eaters.
This should settle as they grow, try allowing her to eat on her own.
Eat together as a family.
Am sure she will grow well.
Hope i answered your query.
Let me know if you need further assistance
Dr Arun

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Arun

Pediatrician, Pulmonology