What causes acanthamoeba keratitis?

Dr. Ornela Ademovi

Posted on Fri, 11 Aug 2017 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I recently got diagnosed wirh acanthamoeba kerastitis on thursday. I have been taking eye drops to treat infection and it seems to be getting worse and has spread around my pupil. Im due back on monday for a follow up to see if eye drops have cleared infection. I am wondering should it get worse before it gets better? Or do i need ro go back before monday? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Specific therapy required

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. This kind of infection is cause by a species of amoeba, a one cell organism, that usually is found in not salty waters, pools, hot tubs and even drinking water.

Due to its potential danger to cause vision reduction and even blindness, early diagnosis and proper treatment is essential.

Corneal debridement is the first step and I am assuming it has already been done. Immediately after debridement, topical antimicrobials, i.e. eye drops, need to be applied every hours, including night hours, for at least three days. After that, every three hours during day time. The effects of the treatment will be visible in 2-3 weeks and the overall treatment should not be shorter than 4 weeks.

If the above is the treatment and advice you have been told about then I recommend you keep doing it meticulously and see your doctor in the appointed time. If not, due to the potential danger associated to this kind of infection, I recommend you see a doctor as soon as possible. Alternatively, if you are doing everything right and still feel like the symptoms are worsening, please see a doctor at the earliest.

I hope this helps. If you have further questions I'd be happy to answer them.

Wishing you good health and all the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy