What causes absent seizure in an infant?
Please attach the reports
Thanks for the query
The common causes of seizure in a well child(not sick) of this age group are hypocalcemia,hypoglycemia,epileptic syndromes.Inborn error of metabolism,vitamin B6 deficiency and cerebral dysgenesis are other uncommon causes.
The assessment should start from clinical examination and then battery of investigation is needed to know the cause.
You have mentioned that apart from hyperkalemia other tests are normal.
Please attach the reports so that I may be better able to help you out.
I want to know whether blood sugar,serum ionised calcium,arterial blood gas(includes sodium,potassium and blood acid base),routine urine test and ultrasound head has been done or not when she was symptomatic.
The most common type of seizure in this age is subtle seizure(staring look,jerking of eyes,flickering of eye lid,pouting of mouth,chewing/sucking/smacking movement,paddling of limbs etc.
Other common types are multifocal clonic(jerky movement of various part of body),focal clonic or tonic(tightening of body).Absent seizure is a kind of seizure observed in older children.
I would like to confirm whether it was absent seizure only.
If all the reports are normal EEG or video EEG may be needed.
Waiting for follow up.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes focal seizures
- What causes epileptic seizures
- What is the cause of seizure when on keppra
- What causes absence seizures
- What is the cause of brain seizures in a child
- What causes recurring seizures
- What causes febrile seizure
- What causes seizures and temproray paralysis
- What caused a seizure on a airplane
- What causes recurrence of seizures