What causes absence of monocytes in blood with sore throat?

ENT Specialist
Question
I'm a male, 28 years of age. I live in XXXXXXX XXXXXXX I have a sore throat with some infection on Tonsils right now. This is a 4th infection in a row from last 2 months. I also have Post Nasal Drip from 1 week. Infection was getting worst. I was not sure that It is viral or bacterial. So I went for a blood test. I'm listing some important results. Rest is uploaded. ESR is High 25 mm/hrs. which should be 0-15 for my age (28 years), Monocytes are 0% of TLC, and Eosinophils count is 312 / Cumm. I think my Eosinophils count is high because of allergic reactions. But my doctor is thinking that its from parasitic infection. I even felt like I was having a fever today for a bit. Picture of my Throat is uploaded. My voice is fine. I have no cough, no fever, no congestion in chest. Just post nasal drip.

Medications That I'm taking are listed below.

1. Albendazole 400mg ( 3 tabs given - 2 Taken)
2. Diethylcabamazine citrate 100mg (30 tabs for 15 days) ( 4 tabs taken)
3. Cefpodoxime Proxetil with Potassium Clavulanate 325 ( 12 tabs for 6 days)(4 taken)
4. Pan-D (for Acid reflux) (2 taken)
5. I'm just using some Nasal Drop for relief during sleep. (once a day before sleeping)

My Questions are:
1. Why is my Monocyte Count in blood 0%. I have not taken yogurt or milk from past 10 days due to sore throat. (which was part of my diet before.) So is that because of that. My monocyte was 8%, 1 year ago.

2. Eosinophils count is 312 / Cumm and Eosinophils are 4 % of TLC. Is that because of parasite or allergic reactions. How this can be reduced if its allergic. I'm really concerned about that because i'm having chronic sore throat from past 2 months. and my profession is teaching.

3. What medications do you think I should take. What should I stop taking. I have 2 months to rest. I just want to back on track as soon as possible. My classes will start in September.
Posted Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Krunal Karade 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your illness is because of allergy .

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXX,
I have seen your blood report & throat picture.
Monocyte count is due to phagocytes out of circulation protect against infection. Increase in malaria , kala azar ,infectious mononucleosis , protozoal infections , collagen disease & other infections. In your case it is low due to lack of above infection or artifact or yogurt .
Eosinophils & ESR are slight raised due to allergy & longer illness respectively .

If I were your treating doctor, I would advice you plenty of fluids , Steam Inhalation , Antiseptic Mouth Wash , Saline nasal spray thrice daily , combination of Antihistaminic levocetirizine + Montelukast , paracetamol & Macrolide Antibiotic azithromycin .
Other you can stop , discuss with your treating doctor. You will get relief .
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
Regards.

Follow-up: What causes absence of monocytes in blood with sore throat? 8 hours later
So U think that there is no Parasitic Infection. Means I can stop those drugs.

Even you forgot to write the dosage of the medications that you prescribed.

1. Levocetirizine + Montelukast
2. Paracetamol (Is it combined with 3rd one or its alone )
3. Marcolides Antibiotics Azithromycin

But as you know I have started the previous course of antibiotics, Cefpodoxime Proxetil. I think I will finish that. Except that should I start your first 2 medications.

and One more thing. I was having constant fever 100 Deg C from last night. Is this due to infection.

Answered by Dr. Krunal Karade 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
In my opinion there is no Parasitic Infection.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXX,
Thanks for follow up query.
In my opinion there is no Parasitic Infection & you can stop those drugs.
You can continue Cefpodoxime Proxetil along with pan D.
1. Combination of Levocetirizine 5mg + Montelukast 10mg (Like Romilast L10) once daily for 7 days at night.
2. Paracetamol 650 mg (Like Dolo 650mg ) twice daily for 5 days . It is alone .

Steam Inhalation , Antiseptic Mouth Wash (Chlorhexidine like Triguard mouth wash ) & Saline nasal spray thrice daily respectively also important.
Fever is due to chronic infection .
Discuss this with your treating doctor.
Hope this information helpful to you, take care and have a nice day.
Regards.