What causes abscess near ureter after ruptured appendix surgery?

Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Question: My 44 year old daughter had ruptured appendix surgery 3 weeks ago and now has an abscess near a ureter. What is best form of treatment for this problem?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
abscess can be drained by ultrasound guidance

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day

Dear Ms

It's quite common to see residual abscess especially in Pelvis following ruptured appendix.
I assume the site the abscess is likely to be Pelvis in location near the ureter.

Management of such abscess depends on clinical condition of patient.
Following are the indication for intervention
1. Persistent fever
2. The quantity of abscess is large
3. Persistent pain in abdomen

Ultrasound guided pigtailing is the preferred modality of approach.

Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you .

Best regards
Dr Deepak XXXXXXX
MBBS, MS, MCh