What causes abnormal vaginal bleeding?

Dr. Soumya

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Women's Health
Question: Hi,
I was on the pill for over 12 months, my prescription ran out and due to a busy schedule, I hadn't gotten a chance to get into the doctors for a new one so I was not on the pill for three weeks (I still had sex but with condoms). I went back on the pill and returned to having unprotected sex with my long term partner. Almost two months later, I started having brown spotting (something that has never happened to me before) which lasted for two weeks even though I was taking the pill daily. I stopped taking the pill to allow my period to come, I had extraordinary painful cramps but very little blood, mostly just brown blood on the first day, the second day the pain was much worse and I passed a greyish rubbery, thick piece from my vagina it was probably approx 10 cm long and then a lot of red blood came out with it. My period finished almost immediately after that with some brown spotting afterwards. Should I be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Soumya 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
no need to be concerned

Detailed Answer:

I have read you query and I understand your concerns about the bleeding pattern.

Following is my reply:

1) The bleeding pattern you observed along with long thick piece is due to endometrium which was not shed for a long time.

2) This piece is endometrium and is normal pattern seen when you have not menstruated for long time.

3) I dont see any reason to worry or be concerned. You will be fine.

I hope I answered you query and addressed your concerns.

Let me know if you wish to ask any further questions. I will be glad to help you.

Dr. Soumya

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj