What causes abnormal prolonged vaginal bleeding inspite of being on birth control?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
I'm 17 and have been sexually active with the same person for two years. I'm on birth control and always use condoms. My period is normally very regular. Last month my period was two weeks late. This month it was two weeks early and at first is was like bloody discharge and very clotty. Now I'm still bleeding two weeks later and it's bright red and seems like a normal period. But it won't stop. I've been bleeding for two weeks straight. I occasionally miss a birth control pill but have never had this issue
Posted Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Better to get evaluated

Detailed Answer:
The possible causes for your problem are:
-If you missed birth control pills, there is possibility of pregnancy, miscarriage etc.
-Side effect of any hormonal contraceptive method.
-Hormonal imbalance
-Thyroid hormonal imbalance etc.
As you are having continuous bleeding for two weeks, better to consult gynecologist once and get evaluated.
By examination and investigations like ultrasound, thyroid profile, hormonal profile including estrogen, progesterone, FSH, LH etc, the possible cause for your problem can be identified and treated.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the response, please give your review at the end of the discussion.