What causes abnormal pigmentation of the skin over the knuckles and palms?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Semi skin colored pigmentation on knuckles and palm of hands in lines and ovals less than a cm long you can feel them
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Either post inflammatory depigmentation or previtiligo

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at healthcaremagic
I am Dr Asmeet Kaur Sawhney, a dermatologist.
I have reviewed the attached photographs and there are 2 possibilities:
Either it is post inflammatory depigmentation to some unnoticed trauma or injuries or it is previtiligo, a condition starting before vitiligo.
If I was your treating doctor I would recommend you to keep it under observation to see whether it is increasing in size or spreading to other places. If this is happening then chances of it being previtiligo is high.
In either of the condition I recommend my patients to apply potent topical steroids like clobetasol propionate cream on the affected depigmented areas in the morning and tacrolimus 0.1 percent ointment on the affected areas at night for atleast 10-12 weeks as repigmentation occurs slowly.
These are prescription drugs and you need to see the doctor in person to get them.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 10 hours later
Thank you for responding. I dont believe it is previtiglo because they are slighty raised like scars not smooth
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Post inflammatory depigmentation or hypertrophic scars

Detailed Answer:
In case they are raised then there chances of being post inflammatory depigmentation or hypertrophic scars is high.
I would recommend you to keep them under observation and consult a dermatologist to get them examined clinically.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad