What causes abnormal noises from throat and chest with a feeling of phlegm?

Dr. Muhammad Hanif

Posted on Sat, 17 Sep 2016 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I feel like I have phlegm in my throat all the time and when I lay down weird noises coming from my throat or my chest not sure were its coming from

Still waiting for and answer ??
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Hanif 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
This seems to be the chest infection. Consult a Pulomonologist, in person.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM and thanks for the consult. I feel sorry for the health issues you have. It is bothersome and your concerns are genuine.

Actually, such kind of voices and feeling of phlegm come from infection of the chest called Lower respiratory tract infection. Feeling of phlegm in throat can also be felt in case of hyperacidity in stomach that may regurgitate to affect the lining of throat. If you are taking over the counter acid reflux relief medications, it means there is also hyperacidity, heartburn and regurgitation of stomach acid in food pipe.

I preferably suggest you to consult a Pulmonologist who will go for thorough physical examination including chest auscultation. Chest X-Ray and if needed a CT Scan can be considered. It can show up if there is any infection of the lungs. If needed, he may also refer you to a Gastroenterologist for evaluation regarding hyperacidity and reflux (called GERD ).

You need to take care of your diet. Take a bland diet and plenty of fluids. Avoid spices, fast and fried foods.

Keep track of your oral hygiene and do gargles with saline lukewarm water twice daily.

Hope it helps. If needed you may ask me for further assistance. I will be happy to get back to you in no time. My direct link is: tinyurl.com/drhanifmd

Regards!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D