What causes abnormal heart sensations in between chest and throat?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 22 Aug 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi Doctor,

From last Sunday night 24th July, I started to feel a weird single heart beat or something right between the middle of the chest and throat. Its observed to be happening anytime of the day but very frequent if I am sitting or laying down after a meal. I find it happening in the morning when I am sitting on my bed and I am empty stomach. I am not sure how to explain it, I am not sure if it is one heart beat or something else. Is there anything to worry?

I had a health check done for blood results and My over all Cholesterol is 230 and my HDL is 41 and LDL is 163. I am not sure what is it, is it PVC or PAC ( I was reading some forums) do I need to go to a doctor? IS there any heart condition ?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
My answer as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that your symptoms are not typical of cardiac arrhythmia.

From the other hand, anxiety seems to play an important role in all this situation.

Some ectopic heart beats are quite normal in every healthy and normal individual. They are more expressed during physical activity or anxiety. They do not indicate any serious disorder and are not harmful.

Anyway, if the problem persists, I would recommend consulting with your attending physician and performing an ambulatory 24-48 hours ECG monitoring to exclude possible cardiac arrhythmia.

If it results normal, there is no need to perform any additional tests.

Regarding your blood lipid profile, I would explain that your Total cholesterol/HDL ratio is 5.6, which means that you need to make some life-style modifications in order to reduce your cardio-vascular risk related to dyslipidemia.

I recommend reducing saturated fat in your diet (butter, eggs, red meat, fast food, etc.) and increase food reach in omega 3 fatty acids (walnuts, fish, fish oil, olive oil, etc.).

Aerobics and loosing some weight can also help reduce your cholesterol levels.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri

Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 12 hours later
For the test : Anyway, if the problem persists, I would recommend consulting with your attending physician and performing an ambulatory 24-48 hours ECG monitoring to exclude possible cardiac arrhythmia. Do I need to be in the hospital?

I am a vegetarian and I do eat egg white.

Also the behavior is observed very frequently and for long durations at times. Can heart burn cause that? I feel like coughing at times to feel better.

The condition is observed in the evening, is it my heart having issues in pumping? My pule is 68 bpm, but I feel one off boom ish near my throat. I am worried. This is observed when I am not active, like sitting or after dinner when I am at home. I am not anxious, but now I am a bit worried after observing this phenomenon.

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
My answer as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

Regarding 24-48 hours ECG monitoring is a simple tests, which is performed at home. You should just meet with your doctor when putting the device (15 minutes) and then, you go home or everywhere you want. After 24-48 hours (depending on the device), you meet again with your doctor to take off the device (15 minutes). Then the doctor calculates by himself the test results, registered in the device.

This tests helps to closely monitor your heart rhythm and exclude possible arrhythmia, which could lead to this symptomatology.

I don't think that these troubles are related to heartburn or gastro-esophageal reflux. But you can try to take an antiacid in the evening and see what happens (if these troubles persist or are diminished).

I understand that you do not feel anxious, but it may be a type of obsession, that you have experienced casually once and then keep feeling it time after time as you already expect it to happen. It is quite normal to have such feelings in normal individuals.

Anyway, I recommend performing the above mentioned tests to come into more objective conclusions.

Hope to have been helpful!

Best wishes,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 6 hours later
I will talk to my doctor and get it tested. Do you see this as a possible arrhythmia? Is there any risk?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
My answer as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

Your symptoms are not very typical of cardiac arrhythmia.

But, considering it as a possibility, I recommended performing the above mentioned test.

Nevertheless, even if it is a cardiac arrhythmia, it is a benign form (just ectopic heart beats), which are not harmful or related to any serious condition.

So just try to relax and do not worry about it!

Greetings!

Dr. Iliri

Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 4 minutes later
I am traveling now, I will make an appointment with a doctor and I will keep you posted. Could you please keep this open?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

I would like to explain that it is only you that decide to continue or close this conversation.

Anyway, in case some error occurs, you can ask me directly at anytime on the link below:

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=69765

I would be happy to review all your uploaded tests for another professional opinion!

Wishing all the best,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 27 hours later
I have observed this during morning if I am hungry and in the evenings. Once in a while. Secondly, if I am active I don't feel this at all. I have kind of fullness near throat like heartburn, not sure if it is what is triggering it.
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

Considering this, a gastro-esophageal reflux or gastritis can not be excluded, although your symptoms are really not typical of these disorders.

I would recommend you to try taking an antiacid or PPI (omeprazole, lansoprazole).

If these drugs cause relief of your symptomatology, then a gastro-esophageal disorder should be suspected. In such case it would be advisable performing a fibrogastroscopy.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Please, let me know about everything!

Greetings!

Dr. Iliri