What causes abnormal heart rhythms?

Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 6 Nov 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Im a 25 yr old male exercises 4 times a week I dont consume alcohol no caffeine drug free I been having extra beats my heart feels wierd I can feel the extra beat in my chest to my neck some days its bad and other days I get them less frequent They did an ekg came up abnormal I consulted a cardiologist my second ekg was normal my echo came normal my stress was normal and my holter monitor came with some slow beats with long pauses so they send me to see an electrophysiologist for a second opininon based on the slow heart beats and I explain my symptoms to the doc and he said it could be ectopic heartbeats but they were not life-threatening that it was ok to have them and that the slow heart beats with pauses were normal on a person around my age. I was sent home not convinced and im actually having this ectopic beats very often especially when im laying down and after meals I get them. They freak me out beacuse it feels like my heart stops for a second or two. The wierd thing is they dont happen during exercises but im still stressing out is their something I can do to make them go away?I've try to ignore them and not to thing about it but it just feel not right when it happens and I freakout even more
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I'm waiting for the requested data.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!
I read your query and understood your concerns.

First of all I would like to have a look at your examinations. Can you please send your examinations reports so I will check them by my self?

Secondly you should know that your symptoms may be caused or aggravated by stomach acid reflux. This is why i would like to suggest as follows:
- eat often and small portions
- avoid laying down to bed 3 hours after eating
- avoid spicy food
- use antacids (malox)
- add Magnesium supplements

I'm waiting for the requested information.
Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu
Follow up: Dr. Benard Shehu 2 hours later
My doc only reviewed the examination reports with me but neve hand me actual copies of my results sorry my echo came out normal stress test normal and 24holter monitor with slow heart beats with pauses thats what he mentioned.
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Following suggestions...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

I would like to suggest to discuss with your doctor and ask him about a copy of your test results. Meanwhile you should continue with above mentioned advices.

Hope this will be of help!
Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu