What causes abnormal enlargement of breast?

Excellent
Question
Hi doctor I have a question regarding abnormal enlargement of one breast
Posted Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs investigations.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
A recent abnormal enlargement of only one breast in non breast feeding female can be due to a breast mass or if painful an infection.
A direct examination and investigations like ultrasound scan of the breast and mammography are needed to find out the cause.
In case all the investigation reports are normal then it can be a physiological variation also.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Follow-up: What causes abnormal enlargement of breast? 4 minutes later
thats how the breast looks like

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Consult a surgeon.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Your breast is acutely inflamed. This needs an immediate medical attention. Do consult a surgeon as soon as possible for surgical drainage of pus if needed and proper antibiotics.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Follow-up: What causes abnormal enlargement of breast? 3 hours later
Thanks Dr XXXXXXX Tayal,but now the problem is my sister is far away in XXXXXXX So I really dont know what to do.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consult the nearest doctor.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
She needs to consult the nearest doctor she can find. The pus inside it needs to be drained under medical supervision. She can do a hot fomentation at least three times a day till then and start with a broad spectrum antibiotic and ibuprofen thrice a day.
Regards.

Follow-up: What causes abnormal enlargement of breast? 6 hours later
My last question Dr. XXXXXXX If you were to advise someone would you advise her to go for total mastectomy includes removal of the entire breast and what might be the effects afterwards.thanks

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Diagnosis needs to be confirmed first.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
From the picture it seems to be an infection. A direct examination is needed to confirm this. Mastectomy is advised only in case of a cancer. That needs a biopsy first to confirm the diagnosis. Just by looking at the image it is difficult to say definitively that she needs a mastectomy.
In case mastectomy is needed the long term effects depend on the type of tumor that is detected.
Regards.