What causes abnormal BP when on Aricept?

Posted on Mon, 29 Sep 2014 in Brain and Spine
Question: I was prescribed by the neurologist the drug Aricept to improve my memory but I had terrible side effects which included terrible abnormal dreams, increase in heart rate and blood pressure, anxiety, sleeplessness, and a terrific headache. The doctor told me to stop the drug immediately and I did but My blood pressure continues to be abnormal(190/90). I stopped the drug five days ago but I continue to have in addition to high blood pressure sleeplessness and extreme anxiety and continue headache. I read on the internet that it takes 16 days for the drug to be out of the system. Will these adverse side effects finally disappear or should I go to the emergency room to lower my blood pressure and take something for anxiety?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Additional medicines may be taken.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mr XXXXXXX

Thank you for posting your query.

I have noted your symptoms and agree that these could be related to the adverse effects of Aricept.

However, there is no need to worry, as the side effects are transient and you would completely recover. Aricept does not lead to any permanent damage to the brain.

Although the drug may take about two weeks to completely get out of the system, the side effects would subside sooner.

However, since the blood pressure remains high, it may be useful to take BP lowering drugs for now.

It is possible that anxiety is aggravating your symptoms. So, anti-anxiety medications may also help you, if taken for a short period.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in

Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Should I take the new medicine Nameda as it is a different chemical makeup? I probably have normal dementia as test do not show Parkinsons and it is impossible to diagnose Alzheimers. I still have normal recall and think that taking different medicine(Namenda) is a little premature. Is a family history of Alzheimers inherited?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You should wait for now.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

In my opinion, you should avoid taking Namenda as of now. This is because of two reasons, the first is that you had side effects due to one drug (Aricept) and we need to wait until you are fine.

The second and probably more important reason is that we are unsure of the diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease at this stage.

On the other hand, if the dementia is progressive and gets worse over time, then, we may think of starting Namenda.

I hope my reply has helped you.

I would be pleased to answer, if you have any follow up queries or if you require any further information.

Best wishes,
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX
For DIRECT QUERY to me: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My blog: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.com/

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist