What causes abdominal swelling and difficulty in breathing?

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Wed, 31 Aug 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: my abdomen is swollen and affecting my breathing, this has been going on for several days on and off. what could be the cau
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
need to see a doctor

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question.
Abdominal swelling most often comes from either an excess of fluid in the abdominal cavity or something abnormal going on in the small intestines or colon. If it is so swollen that you are having trouble breathing you really need to see a doctor right away to find out what is going on.
Fluid can build up in the abdomen if your liver or kidneys are not working properly.
Problems in the intestines or colon can be caused by infection or blockages.
It is very important for you to see a doctor as soon as possible.
If you do not have a doctor that you can see today or tomorrow you should go to Emergency tonight.
Trouble breathing can be a sign of very serious illness.
Please be seen right away.
Dr. Robinson