What causes abdominal swelling after a laser lithotripsy?
Where was the stone?
Thanks for your query.
I would like to know the position of the stone. Was it in the urinary bladder, ureter or in the kidney ?
Since this procedure is done through a scope and the stone is broken by the laser and the stone is cut into pieces, it is a possible complication that there may be an injury to the structure where the stone was.
Secondly the abdominal distension, sluggish bowl movements and pain can occur as a reflex mechanism. In this case, once confirmed can easily be solved by mild laxative and suppositories.
This in turn can cause the swollen abdomen and pain too.
This is a known complication of the procedure.
If the problem persists, you can have a standing X-ray of abdomen and ultrasonography to see the possible cause of your problems.
Thanks for the feedback.
When the ureteric stone is treated in this way, there can be reactionary edema all around.
The ureter is a structure which is retroperitoneal, meaning behind the compartment which contains the intestines, separated by a thin covering called a peritoneum.
When there is edema or any problem in the retro-peritoneal area, the intestines can respond in a ''reflex'' mechanism to go slow ( body's protective mechanism ). So one can get the distension ( swollen) and pain.
Rest of the management I have already written above. You can visit the ER or the hospital where the procedure was done to make sure there is no complication.
This is variable
This is variable for every patient and every procedure.
Usually this is settled within a few days to a few weeks.
This is why you should take more liquids and water to keep the urine well diluted and flushing the system.
Getting darker may be due to concentration due to less intake of water.
If there is no pain , no passage of clots, nothing much to worry about.
This is normal for 3 to 7 days after the procedure and can occasionally occur in between .
Plenty of water in whichever way
Yes, go for vitamin flavored water or add honey to water.
This will improve the results.
All the best.
And wishing you an early and best recovery.
You are most welcome!
What are the symptoms now?
Do you mean the same symptoms?
It is better to get an ultrasonography/ CT scan done just to rule out complications, in case there is no improvement.
Urine will get clearer with plenty of oral fluids as I noted previously.
The bloating should have settled by this time ( it must be about 5 days now)
Have you started on diet/ food ?
Please specify what are the symptoms now?
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Cystoscopy ureteroscopy laser lithotripsy
- Burn caused by lithotripsy
- Laser lithotripsy side effects
- Laser lithotripsy and stent placement
- Permanent damage caused by laser lithotripsy
- After lithotripsy cause bubbles in urine
- Cystourethroscopy with laser lithotripsy
- Can lithotripsy cause infertility
- Ureteroscopic holmium laser lithotripsy
- What causes water retention in body causing swelling
- Is testosterone injections safe to improve libido?
- Will scratching my finger with a nail post cause any infection?
- Will Tramadol help in having normal stools post colectomy?
- Why am I having severe eye pain and blurry vision after taking...
- What causes stomach pain and blood in stool?
- Can continuos cough be symptoms of whooping cough?
- Suggest treatment for Low testosterone level and High TSH level?
- Suggest treatment for bloating and difficulty in passing urine when...
- Ia it normal to have foot pain post bunion operation?
- What are the different treatment options for uncontrollable bowel...