What causes abdominal pain?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Fri, 13 Apr 2018 in General Health
Question: Pain in stomach
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 minute later
Please provide more details: when it started, how severe, type of pain (cramping, burning, etc), location in abdomen (lower left, upper right, etc).
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 12 minutes later
The pain is there from some time.its upper right side right below chest.i had ultrasound done nd it says gallbladder polip 2.5mm which doc said is negligible nd needs no attention.Rest kidney liver everything came fine.I also had stole test done which came absolutely fine.the pain is also sometimes in my left bum.i feel constipated or bloateddont feel like eating anything.stole is lose nd sometimes its solid.husk fiber nd if i do walk i feel better and pain goes away.what is it?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 33 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thoughts on this

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

I don't know when you posted this follow up information and I'm sorry if you have had a wait - I just saw it now.

Pain in the upper right quadrant of the abdomen is usually associated with the gall bladder or ducts associated with that. I take it that the ultrasound was done because of persistent right upper quadrant pain and digestive symptom that you described here.

The polyp is small (1/4 of a centimeter) but I am wondering if it sometimes causes some intermittent gall bladder obstruction that causes your symptoms. Gall bladder obstruction can cause clay/white colored stools, but if not completely obstructed, that may not be happening for you.

Typical gall bladder symptoms are poor digestion and pain particularly after a fatty meal (because bile in the gall bladder is needed to digest the fat) and bloating and gas.

I'm not sure why you feel better when walking except for a couple of possibilities. Physical movement can help with constipation. Another possibility is that you have some irritable bowel causing constipation and that walking helps move the gas out of the right upper quadrant where it was causing pain.

Do you actually have constipation, or do you move your bowels regularly but the abdominal symptoms feel like they do with constipation?

If you are constipated, is this a frequent problem (and when did the problem start)? And how many days do you go without having a movement?