• question-icon

What causes abdominal pain?

Posted on Sat, 19 Jul 2014 in General Health
Question: Hi, I am having very painful abdominal pain 1week after my period. It has been going on for about 3 days and I am concerned about what it could be. It feels pretty similar to a period but it can't be seen as I have just had it. I have also had a burning sensation down there when my partner ejaculates after sex so I am not sure if they are related or not. I have a copper IUD inserted, which I have had for 3 years so far and the strings are still in place. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Looks like infection to me.

Detailed Answer:

In view of your symptoms, burning sensation and currently on immunosuppressant possibility of infection and pelvic inflammatory disease seem likely in your case.

I would suggest a clinical examination , few routine blood /urine investigation and ultrasound in your case.

After this appropriate treatment can be suggested. Doctor is very likely to treat you with course of antibiotics, anti-inflammatory and spasmolytic medications.

Generally it would be course of 7-10 days.

So do consider seeing your doctor.Hope this helps.Please ask if there are any doubts.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir 1 hour later
Thank you, that is very helpful. I am currently in the USA and am worried about the cost of all the treatment, but I will be back in the UK in 6weeks where I will get free healthcare. Do you think it would be ok to wait 6weeks if I can tolerate the pain or is it important that I get medical attention right away? Thanks again
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
To answer need report of blood ultrasound/CT scan

Detailed Answer:
Can you help me with reports of any investigations done for this? I will be in better position to answer it then.Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir 4 minutes later
I have not had any investigations done for this yet sorry. I will make an appointment with a doctor just to be safe.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ultrasound of pelvis and urine routine

Detailed Answer:
Ultrasound of pelvis and urine routine can help us understand and take better decision.

After clinical evaluation doctor might also put you on empirical treatment till you go back to UK.

Regards.
Dr. Sudhir