What causes abdominal pain with anal discharge?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: I have had an anal discharge for about seven weeks and not sure what is causing it. I went to the ER because I was also having painful urination and abdominal pain. They did some blood work and took a urine sample and said it was just a urinary tract infection. They also did an Cat scan to try and figure out the anal leakage. Still not sure why I'm having the discharge. Could it be an STD?
Answered by Dr. Ralf Von Seckendorff 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Std possible test for ghonorrhoa, chlamydia, (syphillis) advisable if there was sex. contact

Detailed Answer:
Dear patient,

if you had any unprotected sexual contact, an std is possible. Have you had any? Since you have asked abot it i assume it is possible?

If yes:

1.Chlamydia and Ghonorrhea (more likely) get tested with swap/ pcr test and don't show up in normal urine culture. Azithromycin and Cefuroxim are effective antibiotics.

2. Syphillis (less likely) gets tested with blood work, antibodies show up 3 weeks after possible contact/ infection. Penicillin is the usual therapy which, if the infection is assumed, gets started before waiting the 3 weeks.

I recommend testing for those, especially under 1.), the antibiotics you have gotten so far might not have been effective.

If no:

If that doesnt't lead anywhere, a rectoskopy can be another diagnostic step to rule out non-std conditions like other kinds of inflammations.

Hope this is helping you , if you have any clarificatons you can get back to me, if this was helpful please kindly rate my answer. Best regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Pradeep Vitta
Dr. Ralf Von Seckendorff