• question-icon

What causes abdominal pain while on Septra?

Posted on Wed, 26 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: 2 hours after taking the third dose of Septra last evening for a UTI , I developed a pain in my stomach and felt as if I were going to throw up, and was light-headed. I began drinking water and the symptoms subsided in about 5 hours. Of course, it's a Sunday and the pharmacy and doc's office is closed. Believing this is a side effect of the med I have stopped the medication and am drinking water. I've always been rx'd Bactrim and this is on the doc's script but the bottle says Septra which I understand is the same drug????? This is also compounded by a tooth infection for which I took clindamycin which finished the day before the Septra. I have stopped further invasive dental work until this UTI is cleared up. Any thoughts?
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Side effect of the medication

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns . Septra has the same active ingredients as Bactrim and both can commonly cause the side effects of diarrhea , naseau and vomiting in up to 10% of patients using them . however I would not recommend that you stop taking this antibiotic as this may cause your UTI to be more severe and may cause resistance if your infection to this antibiotic . So I would recommend that you continue taking it but with the following precautions to avoid the side effects . first you should take an anti emetic as primperane every 8 hours, also you should not take the antibiotic on empty stomach . you should take it following a meal to avoid its side effects on the gastrointestinal tract.
you should eat youghurt daily as it helps replace the benefacial bacteria of the GIT which can be eliminated by the effect of the antibiotic or you could take acidophilus pills instead. I hope I answered your question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 1 hour later
Thank you. I wasn't aware of the potential problem if you stop taking the antibiotic. Do you think the doc might change the meds tomorrow?
BTW, I'm a female! LOL!
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes probably

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ms :) , Your doctor would probably give you another prescription with the same ingredients to avoid developing resistance , but if you still cannot tolerate it , then your doctor would switch to another class of antibiotics such as ciprofloxacin . I hope you find this helpful .
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman