What causes abdominal pain while on Macrobid?

Dr. Manjunath Metri

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 10 Mar 2018 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I took macrobid for 5 days. Now I have severe stomach pain when Ieat. Is it from the meds?
Answered by Dr. Manjunath Metri 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please start on Proton Pump Inhibitors drugs

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to HealthcareMagic..
I thank you for posting your query here and I am definitely going to help you out..

I read your question completely and have understood it well enough..

Please note..

1. Yes. The drug Macrobid is known to produce Gastritis.
Hence it is always better to take antacids.

2. Do not worry, please follow these..
A. Drink lots of water
B. Avoid spicy foods, reduce tea or coffee, no alcohol.
C. Please start on Proton Pump Inhibitors.
D. Take these drugs before food, twice a day for 3 to 5 days.

3. With this, you should be fine..

Hope this helps you..
In case you need further assistance, please contact me back.
Or else, you can close the question and rate.
Take care..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Manjunath Metri 19 minutes later
What is a proton pump inhibitor?
Answered by Dr. Manjunath Metri 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It's a group of drugs

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome back..

Please note..

Proton Pump Inhibitors, are group of drugs that helps to reduce the acidity of the stomach and hence reduce acid secretion and pain.

Few examples are
Pantoprazole, Rabiprazole, Omeprazole.
These are the generic names.

You can get it in the pharmacy.

Hope this helps you..
Or you can close the question and rate.
Take care..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng