• question-icon

What causes abdominal pain while coughing or sneezing?

Posted on Wed, 27 Jul 2016 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I have had a constant pain for 3 days around the left side of my stomach close to my ribs, sore to the touch and sharp pain when I cough, sneeze or use my stomach muscle
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most probably costochondritis.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
To recapitulate: Male/48 - constant pain - close to left ribs - sore to touch and sharp pain on coughing, sneezing and on using stomach muscles - tried Ibuprofen

The description is mostly suggestive of costochondritis, meaning inflammation of the lower ribs with it's cartilagenous part.

I would advise you the following:

- Continue Ibuprofen in proper strength three times a day.
- Give rest to the part by avoiding any movement or activities that increase strain on the lower ribs.

- Apply local Rubrafacient liniment to give warmth.
- Local strapping of adhesive tape can help alleviate pain and give rest to the part.

- In view of persistence, I'd also advice to please consult your Doctor to get a clinical evaluation, to confirm the diagnosis and to get any investigations if he/she feels so and to get a proper prescription to get well soon.

I hope this answer helps you, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon