What causes abdominal pain when diagnosed with hepatitis C?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Tue, 28 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hello, I am a 53 yr old Hispanic woman that a few years ago had Hep C. I was prescribed and took the medication Harvoni for 12 weeks But, the last few months I have been having a pain on my right upper side, it feels at times hard. Now, this pain is constant and at times pretty bad. Scared that it could be my liver and or other. Any suggestions? As of today I have had given blood samples to see what Is going on, but still want some kind of idea as to what it may be
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Could be the liver but nothing points specifically to it......

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for addressing your health query to us.

I have reviewed this information fully and understand your worries. With the history of hepatitis C, you have reasons to be worried about a possible liver disease. However, there are several other organs here and does the pain alone cannot be very specific. Some other possible causes beside the liver are gallbladder disease, kidney problem even stomach and duodenal ulcers.

Harmony is a good drug and has great viral suppression rate. I will like to know if you ever had a control after this treatment to ascertain that you were completely cured .This might be helpful, too.

However, we really need the results of the blood tests back to make a rational plan. If they are not very guiding, we would probably do imaging studies to look at the liver and all organs in this area. These two together would certainly provide the majority of details to propose a plan to redress these worries.

In all, there are other possible causes and only further testing would help make the exact diagnosis. Be calm and relaxed knowing we would stop at nothing but getting this issued fully diagnosed and addressed.

I hope this sheds more light and is guiding enough. I am happy to address any further worries that you may have.

Kind regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Thank you kindly Dr. God willing Monday a week from today I should be obtaining a better prospective on this pain. Thank you again for your time in this matter.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Let me know how your visit goes!

Detailed Answer:

You are very correct and we will gain more insights as more information becomes available. Kindly keep me posted after the said visit.

I wish you well!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 14 hours later
Thank you Dr. will keep you informed in this matter. Thank you again for your time.

Blessings.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome! I will be waiting!

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your kind words. I will be on the look out for your updates.

I wish you well.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy