What causes abdominal pain during pregnancy?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 3 Apr 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: My wife is 12 weeks Pregnant. Today she controlled her toilet for an hour during sleep once she got up she was feeling pain in Side Abdomen & Back. No pain in lower stomach.

What is a cause? Is there any issue & should we consult a Gynecologist immediately?

Please provide me the remedy for the same.

Thanks,
xxxxx XXXXXXX
0000
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nothing worrisome.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Pain on the side of the abdomen and back after trying to withhold urine can be due to an extra pressure on the kidney. This can be a postural or muscular pain also. it will gradually subside on its own after passing urine and after relaxing the back muscles. Since there is no pain in the lower abdomen there is no need to worry. in case the pain persists then you can get her ultrasound scan done for evaluation.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana