What causes abdominal pain during periods?

Question
I have very regular periods with abdominal aches sometimes during periods. Since the past 2 months I have been noticing light bleeding in between periods. There is no pain associated or no issues during the regular menstrual cycle. The only medicine that I take almost regularly is Ranitidine. Can long term use of Ranitidine induce vaginal bleeding?
Posted Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can cause thrombocytopenia.

Detailed Answer:

Prolonged use of ranitidine can sometimes cause thrombocytopenia or decline in the number of platelets. This can cause increased bruising and bleeding tendency. Vaginal bleeding as such, is not caused by its use.

Though this is a possibility in causing the spotting, this is not all. Other possible causes like hormonal imbalances, local lesions like infections, erosions, cervicitis or polyps, should also be checked for.

Therefore, you should see a specialist in person for a proper appraisal of the situation and get further management.

Hope I have clarified your query. Please feel free to contact for further information. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.