What causes abdominal pain, constipation, flatulence and depression?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I have some abdominal pain from few Month early.which is not very severe. Also I have a constipation since I tried diet about 2 years ago and also after cataract surgery.
I have a lots of farts thought smellless,usually after reliving some of consitipation,pain start,usually lower part ,but I feel all of the part of my abdomin feel very discomfort. I have no problem other than that,also no back pain.
My aunts had pancreatic cancel and my brother had colon cancer.
I will have screening for regular check up, but I am very nervous and sensitive any discomfort and pain.
Also I have a depression because from healthy concern and fear of cancer,I take medication,
The thing is I have farts ,I feel ok.
What can I do and what are you thinking about?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Preliminary treatment and Check up

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
To recapitulate: Female/61 - nervous, sensitive and depression from health concern - fear of cancer - Aunts had pancreatic cancer and brother had colon cancer - abdominal pain of few months - not very severe - odorless farts - Constipation since tried diet 2 years ago and also after cataract surgery - farts after relieving of constipation - pain starts - in lower abdomen - discomfort all over abdomen - will have screening for regular check up - wants to what can be done and what are my thoughts ....

With the details you have provided I would advise you the following:
Take a proper dose of laxative to relieve constipation completely.
Probiotics, yogurt/curds, banana, activated charcoal may help to relieve farts.
If these measure work well, nothing to worry about at the moment and to go for the regular check up including that for the present problems:
Stool tests for 3 consecutive days.
Tests of blood related to routine CBC, thyroid, liver, pancreatic kidney functions.
Ultrasonography to start with and CT scan of the abdomen if indicated.
Colonoscopy and biopsy.
All these tests will help to confirm or rule out any problem related to intestines and abdominal contents that are giving you the symptoms and are worried about due to the present complaints and family history.

I hope this answer helps you, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.