Owl Image

What causes abdominal pain and nausea?

Owl Image
Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain

Question
I have developed lower right sided pain in my abdomen. with mild nausea. not painful enough to go to hospital but hurts to stand or move or when I press down on it?
Think it's important to note that it is more like tenderness than pain and it is definitely lower right hand side - below the belly button.
Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Deserves review by Dr, exclude appendicitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

It might be important to note how it started. If it started around your navel (umbilicus before moving to the right lower abdomen, it is important to check out for appendicitis. Signs and symptoms like nausea, vomiting or fever lately should also be noted, for in case present, would be very suggestive of acute appendicitis.

Doing a complete blood count, a stool examination and an abdominal ultrasound could be very helpful in identifying the cause of this pain. A complete blood count and a C reactive protein measure would be important to guide if there is an infection or not.

I think you should consult your doctor or emergency room doctor. Kind regards,

Dr Bain

Follow-up: What causes abdominal pain and nausea? 39 minutes later
Had my appendix out when I was 5. Started in lower right side. Very sore to touch and hurts when I straighten out but not pain just tenderness. Wouldn't keep me from sleeping? Just wondering what it could be?
oops it wasn't my appendix it was my tonsils when I was five. My husband just told me that:) So maybe it is my appendix. How would I know?

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Complete blood count, pain and ultrasound

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the update,

It is true apart from the appendix, other conditions like urinary calculi and inflammation of certain intestinal structures could cause a similar pain.

However, the commonest cause of such pain is appendicitis. A complete blood count would show an increased level of white blood cells, the erythrocyte sedimentation and C reactive protein measures shall be raised, an ultrasound of the abdomen usually shows an appendix increased in size or with a collection in case of an already formed appendicular abscess. All these only add to a complete clinical review based on the specific characteristics of the pain at Macburney 's point (right lower abdomen) and associated findings like fever, nausea and/or vomiting.

Its imperative to see your doctor. Kind regards,

Dr Bain