question-icon

What causes abdominal pain and bloating while treating blood clots in lungs?

Posted on Thu, 28 May 2015
Question: I recently was put on xarelto due to blood clots in lungs. I am also on Plavix and full dose aspirin. The pharmacist said i should not be on plavix and xarelto together. My doctor says it is ok. What do you think would be the appropriate direction I should take
I also have upper abdominal pain and bloating. I was just diagnosed with clots in both lungs. Is the pain and bloating a result of the blood clots?
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson (9 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
should not need all 3 medications

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your questions. You should not need to be on plavix, xarelto and aspirin. All 3 medications increase the risk of bleeding. Sometimes cardiologists will put a patient on both plavix and aspirin after a stent placement but I can see no reason for you being on all 3. This dramatically increases your risk of a bleeding problem. I think you need to stop the plavix while you are on the xarelto. I can see no benefit in it and it is a real risk for a bleeding problem.
Please see a pulmonologist or cardiologist and get their opinion
Dr. Robinson
Dr. Kathy Robinson