What causes abdominal gas and diarrhea when diagnosed with low serum ferritin level?

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I just had a colonoscopy which only found a stomach protrusion and low Ferritin, Serum (18); this was done
in connection with about 7 weeks of very strong gas, little finger size diarrhea and anus weeping...all of which I still have!
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please follow...

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I read carefully all your concerns and I can say as follows:
1. You are reporting to have had gas and diarrhea for 7 weeks plus low ferritin level. These symptoms may be related with :
- malabsorbtion
- gastrointestinal inflammation
- SIBO ( small intestine bacterial overgrowth )
2. You have done colonoscopy. This is why I would like to know if your doctor has take biopsy from colon or small intestine. Please can you upload to me colonoscopy report so I can check them by myself.
3. In such cases I recommend to do and upper e endoscopy too plus biopsy of duodenum to rule out malabsorbtion.
4. I would like to know too if you have chronic disease like diabetes or other disease ?
Hope it was helpful to you!

Dr.Klerida
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Klerida Shehu 1 hour later
Dr. Klerida,

Thank you for the quick response!

My colonoscopy on 3/3/17 included an endoscopy as well. The ONLY comments my Dr. had was what I reported to you!

No biopsy (s or sies) of duodenum, colon or small intestine were reported
taken or reviewed with me.

I have never had "chronic diseases".

My Surgeon had to leave town for 3 to 4 weeks and I have not heard from his
partner about my stomach "protrusion" or any appointment with his partner. My next appointment with MY Surgeon is not until April 26.

I'm a nervous XXXXXXX so that is why I'm asking you for advice!

Thank you,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please follow..

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,
You are reporting to have stomach protrusion.
It is true that it may need surgery repair but it is not urgent need.
Otherwise stomach protrusion doesn't cause your symptoms like diarrhea and low ferritin e level.
To my opinion you need to do fecal culture test to better evaluate the cause of diarrhea.

Hope it was helpful to you!
Dr.Klerida