• question-icon

What causes abdominal distention with constipation and diarrhea?

Posted on Thu, 2 Jun 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have an extended stomach, big, round, hard which coincides with constipation and dirreaha , ivebeen told it's possibly IBS.first consultation is over , had an EGD with results, imflamed throat and near small intestions .its my understanding that treatment for IBS is limited? Do you have suggestions if it is IBS , and are there other possibilities? Bowel movement is 4-7 days apart. It's dirreah , dark water, no solids. Explosive and powerful, I can't imagine where the volocity and pressure came from except it's my discomfort in abdominal area. It has the Oder of death!. What is my best plan to relieve this condition and are there other possibilities . Thank you
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hi likely not much to worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to HCM
Thank you for your query
I understand your concern
Possibly you have irritable bowel syndrome
But need to work out other causes too by preferably getting a thyroid profile calcium levels and colonoscopy done.
If it is normal then not much to worry
Try following things and see how you feel
Ensure adequate water intake
Have high fiber diet with lots of salads and fruits
Go for regular brisk walk
Avoid straining for stools
Can take laxative like lactulose along with isapgula husk after consulting your physician
If still Constipation persist can take sodium picosulphate after consulting your physician
All this will help you in long run
Most important is stop worrying about the problem
Hope this answers your questions
Wish you a speedy recovery
Happy to help

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 1 hour later
Family has concerns about Lactose, Gluten,Crohns, Colitus, lymes ect. Nice to have so many care, however are thier concerns something to be aware of and elimate one by one? The weight gain and unpredictable dirreaha are a main concern as exercise of any kind gets more difficult.
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
None of them look relevant

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thank you for your query
I think colonoscopy is most important to rule out any growth rest things looks not related
Don't worry
Try reducing weight at that will surely help you in many ways
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh

Gastroenterologist