What causes abdominal distention after gallbladder removal?

Dr. Deepika Patil

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I had my gallbladder removed, they it was ready to burst and I had more stones than they could count. The area beneath my breasts to my waist are so distended that I look like I am about 4 months pregnant. I am very concerned

Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
need a few more details

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HealthcareMagic.

Before I can answer you question, I would like to know a few more details about your surgery, like:

1- when was the surgery done.
2- are you having any pain in the abdomen?
3- any fever or wound site infection.
4- are your bowel movements regular, and the color of your stools.
5 - was any investigation done after the surgery like usg or blood tests.

waiting for your reply.

Dr. Deepika Patil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Deepika Patil 17 hours later
I had my surgery done last September, I was admitted to the hospital because I was passing out. They did a test and told me my gallbladder was ready to rupture and there were more stones than they could count. My bowels are not regular I sometimes don't go for a week but I do not feel constipated. I really never feel hungry. NO fever or pain, I did not have any pain even before the surgery. Sometimes after a week or so I will get really bad cramps and the I get the diariaha. I don't know if any blood work was done. I just know that I never had this distention until right after I had the surgery.
Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
distension could be due to constipation

Detailed Answer:

Your abdominal distension could be due to constipation. But people with a week of constipation usually pass very hard stools, and not diarrhea. So it looks like there could be an obstruction higher up in the colon to cause you this.

The obstruction might be in the ascending or transverse part of the colon, so everything gets held up there leaving your rectum empty, so you dont feel constipated.

I would strongly suggest that you get a colonoscopy done to look for this obstruction, as at your age, I would like to rule out sinister conditions such as colon cancer. And these growth usually get missed on an ultrasound, that would had been done to diagnose your gallbladder stones.

I don't think that it has anything to do with your gall bladder surgery.

Hope this answers your question. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Dr. Deepika Patil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad