question-icon

What causes abdominal distension and clear liquid in stool?

Posted on Sat, 19 Jul 2014
Question: The other day I had really bad abdominal distension and gas until i passed a large amount of clear liquid in my stool. The next morning there was fresh blood in my stool. The following days I have passed relatively normally with no symptoms other than slight abdominal discomfort and a strange sensation of warm liquid that seems to be free floating in my abdomen. I.e. if I lay on my right, it travels to my right side. Also after I eat I get this sensation of warm water dripping down my abdomen. What is going on??
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja (34 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
May be gastroentritis

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing in

It seems you have had gastroentritis

May be after a contaminated meal or liquid

I would suggest you take plenty of fluids orally and a good probiotic twice a day

If this does not help in a day or two, get your stool examined and take antibiotics according to the stool report

Hope this helps
Do write back in case of concern
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja

Gastroenterologist, Surgical