What causes abdominal discomfort, cramps and bloating?

Dr. Ralph Chambers

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have been having some gastric issues for the past three weeks - abdominal discomfort/light cramping, some abdominal fullness. I at first thought it was simply due to stress as my significant other was recently diagnosed with cancer but nothing seems to be helping my symptoms despite the fact that I'm not longer mentally stressed out. I have even tried natural things like ginger/peppermint but nothing is alleviating the symptoms and I have had random tuna fish cravings for the past few weeks, and I had not eaten that previously for a good few years.

Suggestions?
Answered by Dr. Ralph Chambers 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
This could be an H pylori stomach infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

There are two possibilities here--an H pylori bacterial stomach infection, or, depending on the location of the abdominal discomfort, a gall stone issue.

You need to see your doctor about this and I would screen you for H pylori and treat that with a course of antibiotics if the screen were positive, but I would also get an ultrasound of your abdomen to check for gall stones.

Please let me know if you need any more information
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj