What causes abdominal discomfort after eating?

Dr. Muhammad Ahmad

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in General Health
Question: hi dr - XXXXXXX discomfort immediately after eating with pulsing and churning stomach, heart irr and discomfort in bowel. had endoscopy - lax hiatus and stomach polyp - no helicobactor or celiac. very apprehensive about eating even the smallest thing. now going for ultrasound to check gallbladder. steadily getting worse over the last six months. Have being feeling unwell since diagnosed with diabetes type 2 a year ago, tabs for this intolerant to metformin and SR metformin.
many thanks XXXXXXX blair
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ahmad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Here are a few suggestions.

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for writing to Health care magic, I am Dr Muhammad Ahmad, I have read your question in detail and fully understand your concern I will guide you through your health related issue.

Here are a few suggestions to counter your problems.This will help with both stomach and diebetes control.

1) Avoid Fizzy drinks,energy drinks, junk food, coffee ..caffiene..smoking and alcohol (what ever is relevant).
2) Use high fibre diet like vegetables, peach , whole grain bread, cereal.
3) Dont take big meals take small 5..6 meals a day.
4) Keep your weight well maintained.
5) Do daily walk regularly specially after dinner.
6) Do not sleep immediately after dinner take dinner 2 hours prior sleeping.
7) You can take syrup gaviscon when needed(heart burn).
8) Try taking metformin in the middle of a meal this sometimes help with diarrhea abd cramps.
9) I would also suggest such patients in my clinic to take motillium twice a day and omeprazole 40mg once a day This helps with acid reflux and dyspepsis.

There is nothing to be worried a good lifestyle can turn things by 360° for you.

Dr.Muhammad Ahmad
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Ahmad 1 hour later
Many thanks for your suggestions.

I have been doing the above suggestions for some time now, and have made some improvements in energy and lifestyle by regulating my diet, but I am still not relieved of the constant stomach and bowel churning and tightness immediately after eating even the tiniest amount, along with ectopic heart beats. These ectopic beats are troublesome also when lying down, bending, stretching even walking (and can last for hours along with all this stomach and bowel churning and tightness) My heartburn is under control.

Kind regards
Jacqueline XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ahmad 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Did you get ectopics checked by dr?

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for writing back, jhave you been using the above mentioned medication as well?

Did you gwt any checkup for exctopic beats or a Holter?

Regards.

Dr.Ahmad
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Ahmad 2 hours later
Thank you for your message.

Have seen cardiologist and had holter on twice. Cardiologist took me off propanolol because they had detected heart block and thought this medication may be causing this. Also cardiologist said I have ectopic beats but he seemed to dismiss the connection to my eating/stomach/bowel palpitation type feeling that I am experiencing constantly with little relief

Yes using the medications above mentioned

Now I'm awaiting ultrasound to check out the gallbladder.

This has all being going on for a year with no end in sight yet as no one seems to be getting to the bottom of it.

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ahmad 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You now need to go further into investigations.

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for writing back,

In my opinion as well there is no relation between these two problems. Heart and stomach.

Now as you have been taking All the care and medication now you are left with a few options.

1) Discuss with your doctor about using digestive enzymes.
2) You can get Gut motility studies done like manometry this will tell you if your stomach and gut are contracting fine.
3) You can get some intervention sone to strengthen sphincters .

I would Like you to discuss these options with your gastroenterologiat as you have been doing all first up measures so if they aren't helping ...you have to go further to get answers ..!!!

Regards.

Dr.Ahmad