What causes abdominal cramps while on Lasix?

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Wed, 7 Sep 2016 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: I had taken Lasix 40 mg once and urinated a lot and it is more than 1 month since I had taken this medicine and after 2-3 days I started having abdominal cramps and pinching pain near the navel. Please let me know if this is a side effect of this medicine and if yes what is the antidote for this or what should I do to relieve from this cramps and pinching pain in the abdomen.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No, Lasix is not the cause...

Detailed Answer:

It seems you had posted the query to some one else. But in the absence of your selected doctor, I shall take this opportunity to answer on her behalf.

Lasix is one of the safe drug. It is well tolerated by most individuals. It is not likely to cause those abdominal cramps or the pinching. If cramps and pinching are persisting, let us try and see if we can figure out the cause. But to determine the cause, I would like some more information from you.
1. What was the indication to use lasix in the first place? What diagnosis / symptoms urged your doctor to prescribe Lasix.
2. Do you have these symptoms throughout day? what precipitating factors cause these?
3. Is it by any chance related to food?
4. Do you have any other associated symptoms like fever, vomiting, abdominal bloating, loose stools, constipation, burning sensation / pain while passing urine, increased urination, etc.?

Awaiting your response.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad