What causes abdominal cramps while on Ibuprofen?
He began taking ibuprofen for back pain last night, the cramps began, this morning was fine, took more ibuprofen, cramping back, very bad. Started taking fluoxetine only three days ago but had been taking Celexa daily before that and no problem. My question is should I be taking him to the ER? He is also on blood pressure meds and statins
It if better to take him to ER
Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.
Noted the history, medication history about your husband and understood the concerns.
Since the pain started after taking Ibuprofen it is most like to be GI upset and gastritis to be more specific.
Please give him a PPI like Omeprazole and/or Ranitidine; Antacid three hourly.
It would be better to take to ER as this will help with the clinical evaluation and investigations to confirm or rule out any other problems that have caused such a severe pain. X-ray of abdomen in standing position, ultrasonography of abdomen, upper GI Endoscopy and tests of blood and urine help with proper diagnosis so that any further management as per the cause be done.
I hope this answer helps you, please feel free to ask for any further queries if you feel that there is any gap of communication.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What could cause abdominal cramps and delay in periods
- What is the cause of faint abdominal cramping
- What causes severe abdominal cramps while taking lipitor
- Mild abdominal cramping causes
- What causes abdominal cramps with vomiting and petite loss
- What causes abdominal cramping diarrhea and severe headache
- What causes mild abdominal cramps with brown discharge
- What causes abdominal cramps with dark urine and vomiting
- What causes delayed periods with abdominal cramps
- What causes abdominal cramps after an intercourse