What causes abdominal cramps, vomiting and diarrhea?

Posted on Tue, 17 Mar 2015 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I have had about 4 cases of stomach cramps, terrible sweating, shaking and weakness. Last night was my worst case. I was throwing up in a trash can and knew I need to go to the bathroom too. Usually the bowel is normal at first and then bad diarrhea. I thought I was going to pass out at one point. I was told I had a case of diverticulitis about 6 months ago. Do you know what it is for this to happen and what I can do to prevent it?

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Gastrointestinal infection can be the reason.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Abdominal cramps, vomiting and diarrhea are typical symptoms of gastrointestinal infection. Especially if fever is also present.
Unfortunately similar symptoms can appear in case of partial bowels obstruction. Such obstruction can be caused by adhesions (possible if you have had any abdominal surgery) or even a colon cancer (the risk of this cancer significantly rises over the age of 50).
Diverticulitis does not give such sudden symptoms.

Gastrointestinal infection should subside in a day or two. Partial bowels obstruction wont go away by its own.

If the symptoms last no longer than 24 hours, you may not visit your doctor right away. In such case, start probiotic intake, avoid any solid foods and drink plenty of liquids.
If your symptoms are present for longer than 24 hours, please consult your doctor. Blood work, urine analysis, abdominal x-ray should be done at first. Colonoscopy should be scheduled.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon