What causes abdominal cramps and vaginal bleeding after taking an emergency contraceptive pill?

Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: Good evening. I am reaching out as I have a question on the likelihood of a potential pregnancy (if it is highly likely I could be pregnant or if it is not highly likely).

My last period began 2/15. My cycle length tends to vary slightly, but my previous periods started on 1/14, 12/16, 11/10,and10/10. My periods typically last around 7-8 days. On 2/23 around 11PM, the day after my period ended, I had intercourse using a condom in which the condom broke. After that my partner and I had unprotected intercourse twice into the early morning of 2/24. At around 8AM on 2/24 I purchased and took Opcicon One Step about 8-9 hours after having intercourse the first time.

The afternoon of 2/28 I started experiencing some cramping. Then on 3/1 I started bleeding lightly a dark pink / bright red color and had strong cramping throughout the morning. At first it was only when wiping that I noticed the blood but by the early afternoon I needed to use a pad and the blood was bright red. By the next morning of 3/2 the flow was much heavier but has slowed down slightly by the evening though I still need to use a pad. As of the morning of 3/3 the flow has slowed down and is only visible when wiping again but by that evening it had stopped entirely. I also experienced slight nausea in the evening of 3/2 - 3/5, and on 3/5 saw a little light pink spotting. As of two days ago my breasts have become fairly sore and sensitive. I have an odd taste in my mouth. Additionally I have noticed discharge that is somewhat white/yellow in color and slightly stretchy. I am not sure if the two separate instances of bleeding was implantation bleeding, withdrawl or period bleeding as I have only ever taken Plan B (non generic) before and bleeding had been spotting and dark and the other symptoms seem to be pregnancy symptoms though it would be too early for me to have the nausea.

Again can you advise on the likelihood of potential pregnancy based on this information and if my bleeding and later spotting was likely implantation bleeding or something else? Additionally please note I have already spoken with a doctor and received a prescription for birth control, however I am waiting to start taking the oral contraceptive until 2/19 when I will be taking a pregnancy test to confirm.
Answered by Dr. B. Radhakrishnan. Nair 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely to be pregnant

Detailed Answer:
Hi
GREETINGS
From the history ,you seem to have regular periods of around 28 to 30days interval.
Considering that you had intercourse on 8th and 9th day of your periods which is almost safe dates for intercourse.
The bleeding you are having may be induced by the emergency contraceptive pill.
You can wait for next period and in case if gets delayed ,get an urine pregnancy test.
If negative ,wait for the normal periods to come and start regular oc pills from second day.There can be slight alteration in your coming menses.
Hope my answer helps you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy