question-icon

What Causes Abdominal Bloating And Sharp Pain In The Abdomen In An Elderly Person?

Posted on Mon, 20 Nov 2017
Question: My wife, age 71, has for approximately 30 hours had bloating, diffuse sharp pain in the left side of her abdomen, and cramping in her left leg. She does not feel constipated but has not defecated for several days. Also weakness, lackof appetite.The symptom list does not include leg cramps. Also, how long should I expect to wait before the report is available?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Slowing of gastrointestinal movements could be the cause

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone very carefully through your query. Our gastrointestinal tract has a forward propulsive movement (peristalsis) that moves the food material forward as it is digested, absorbed and finally expelled as feces. If somehow this movement gets hampered, food along with the digestive juices would stagnate, stomach acid will reflux into the food pipe and on the other hand the bowel habits would not be proper. Degradation of undigested food in the intestines by the intestinal bacteria would lead to the excess gas formation.

In order to relieve yourself, you need to do the following:
* Avoid spicy food. Take small but frequent meals. Avoid long gaps between meals.
* Avoid alcohol intake (if it a part of your habit).
* Take Prilosec (omeprazole) once daily before breakfast.
* Take plenty of green leafy vegetables as well as other sources of dietary fibers. Take fiber supplements like isabgol/psyllium husk or senna. I would insist you to increase your dietary fiber intake.
* Regular morning walk and exercise to keep the bowel movements proper.
* Take curd or yogurt on daily basis. It contains beneficial bacteria and should help.
* Stress reduction has a very important role to play. Yoga and meditation should help.

Hopefully that should help. However, I do not understand which report you are talking about. Could you please specify?

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha