• question-icon

What causes abdominal bloating and pain when diagnosed with gastritis?

Posted on Mon, 7 Aug 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi, I recently was experiencing various symptoms like nasuea ab pain, bloating and gas and was told here that it was gastritis maybe 8 months ago. After major dietary changes the bloating and gas are gone and nasuea as well. The pain sudden stabbing pains are also gone but I have this point tenderness on my right side. Its not really when I press an area of my abdomen, but I run my finger along my lower stomach and I feel this point of resistance almost like a bump under the surface with some minor pain, but pain is not the right word cause its not that bad its more like irritation or discomfort over that point. I have not noticed anything out of the ordinary other than this. Have been going to the bathroom ok no blood in stool/urine, no problems and its not the discomfort that I am worried about its more ruling out that this is anything serious. I am thinking maybe its inflammation or something. Also something possibly unrelated I have intermittent heavyness in my right ribcage like its not pain or anything but it feels like swelling and discomfort right on the bone.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
ULTRASONOGRAM SHOULD BE DONE INITIALLY

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query,

I've gone through all your details and appreciate your concern.

Most likely, the problem you are having is called Dyspepsia.

Dyspepsia, in layman's language is known as indigestion. It is a term that describes discomfort or pain in the upper abdomen. However, it's not a disease in itself. Dyspepsia is a group of symptoms which often include bloating, nausea and heartburn.

As ultra sound should be done initially to rule out the cause of swelling. I would suggest you not to worry too much and wait for the reports of ultrasonogram.

Till then,
Take a proton pump inhibitor like Esomeprazole 40 mg twice daily along with a prokinetic drug (eg.Domperidone) for 3 days. This will provide you symptomatic relief from symptoms of dyspepsia (you may need to obtain prescription for this from your local physician).

Antacid like Pepto bismol can be taken for few days along with it.
Any over counter probiotic should be taken for few days to provide relief in symptoms of indigestion.

Apart from this, some dietary restrictions are to be followed-

- Avoid alcohol or smoking.
- No aerated beverages.
- Take light non spicy easily digestible food for few days.
- No Fast food like pizza or burger should be taken.
- Drink a cup of cold milk daily.
- Avoid fatty foods.
Left sided heaviness can e because of gastritis and dyspepsia(as you have history of suffering from it).

So initially go for USG abdomen to rule out nature of swelling and follow up with reports.
Feel free to ask any follow up questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 5 hours later
Hi, thank you for the response. The symptoms of gas, nausea, bloating...etc have gone away for the past couple months the only symptom I have is that point where if I touch it with my finger there is slight discomfort its lower right side and the occassoional rib cage heaviness is also exclusively the right side. Am I safe to assume that these are just related for the most part to the dyspepsia? Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 4 days later
Hi
I am sorry for delayed reply dear patient.
Was having some serious health issues.
See as the pain is felt along rib cage and in area surrounding ribs it can be cardiac also.
Cardiac and gastric pain often overlaps each other and are very difficult to differenciate them just on the basis of history.
I would recommend you initially to go for few basic tests of cardiac sciences like
2d echo and stress test -Both of them would help to rule out coronary artery disease.
Pain of cardiac origin can be felt in upper area of abdomen also.
Once cardiac cause is ruled out we can work on gastric causes and treat it accordingly.

Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist