• question-icon

What causes abdominal bloating and acid reflux?

Posted on Wed, 5 Jul 2017 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Hi Doctor,

I have continues bloating and gas in my intestine which is making my life pretty bad. Continues sound from my stomach which increases in the eve and due to this i cannot sleep properly.

Around couple of months back, i had the same issue and was diagnosed with initial stage of GERD but then with the medication, proper diet and timely eating i was feeling better, but it started again from a week.

Also from couple of months i was under under extreme stress and anxiety, trying to calm my self down and i m much better now but not completely alright.

Also from a week or two, continues sneezing and cold is giving me lot of stress as well. I guess i have persistent rhinitis.

Please suggest me medication for persistent rhinitis and for bloating problem.

Also please suggest, the foods to avoid, i am planning to take apple cider vinegar from XXXXXXX in the night. Please suggest.

Answered by Dr. Prasad 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Repeat GERD medications + antihistamines...

Detailed Answer:

I went through your query with diligence.

Let me remind you, GERD is a chronic condition associated with life style. It can be kept under control if all the exaggerating factors are taken care off. In your case, perhaps the stress of the last 2 months is playing a role in aggravating this concern.

May I know what medications did you use the last time when you had similar symptoms. Generally proton pump inhibitor + a prokinetic agent is used for a week or two. The same medications may be repeated now for two weeks. In the meanwhile continue the diet regulations you are currently on. Avoid spices and beverages. Try to manage stressors and anxiety issues adequately.

As far as sneezing and cold is concerned, it may not be related to GERD. I would start you on antihistamine drugs such as tablet levocetrizine 5mg at night for 3-4 days. In addition steam inhalation and if needed nasal sprays may be used for added benefits.

Hope this answered your questions. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Dr. Prasad